Flu and stomach flu season
Winter brings with it the flu and stomach flu. How can you prevent them and how can you treat them?
Preventing the Flu and Stomach Flu
- Wash your hands frequently, especially when you are around others. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Keep a large container of antibacterial gel within easy reach for everyone. And a box of tissues.
- Clean items that are used frequently: door knobs, toilet handles, remotes, switches, telephones, favourite games, etc.
- Prepare a bowl for each child instead of letting them repeatedly use the same dish of raw veggies and dip. It will make them happy and avoid the flu.
- Do not share glasses and utensils. Put your name on your glass.
- Take care of your immune system: rest; take a short nap during the day, if needed; and keep stressful situations to a minimum. Stay active to stay in shape. Dress appropriately for the weather.
- Don't visit or invite people to visit if they are ill or who have been ill recently (they might still be contagious).
- Vaccination is your best defence against the flu!
The flu spreads quite easily and can cause severe complications, especially in more vulnerable individuals.
When and Where to Consult
You can use the Decision Assistant to help you decide when to seek help and where.
In Need of Health-Care Services?
Your Health Guide will help you better understand and use our care and services.